For medical technologists looking to move to and work in the United States, ensuring that you have obtained all necessary certifications is one of the first steps in your journey. As an MT, you will need to have secured certification from one of two different boards: the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or American Medical Technologists (AMT).
The more common certification utilized by MTs who work with PassportUSA is obtained via the ASCP.
About ASCP Certification
An ASCP credential proves to potential employers that you are professionally competent among new and practicing personnel. Attaining this certification demonstrates that your knowledge and experience meet the highest standards of the medical technologist profession.
The ASCP offers over 20 professional certifications. To qualify for technologist certification, candidates must have at least a bachelor’s degree in biology or chemistry, as well as clinical laboratory experience.
Why International MTs Need ASCPi Certification
As an MT residing in a country outside of the United States, you will need to obtain ASCPi certification rather than the normal ASCP (for current U.S. residents). While ASCPi certification is recognized in an equal manner to the ASCP by potential employers in the U.S., the certification process is different. Here we walk through the steps of the international certification process:
1. Meet the eligibility requirements for MTs. They can be viewed by clicking here.
2. Complete the online application form. (See a video for this process here.)
3. After completing the application, you should receive an email with instructions on how to retrieve your admission notification in your online ASCP account (created during the application process) to take the examination on a computer at a Pearson Professional Center within a three-month period.
4. Schedule your appointment to take the exam. Again, this should be within three months of receiving your admission notification.
5. Take your exam at the Pearson Professional Center of your choice. You will get your preliminary pass/fail results immediately after completion.
6. After the exam, you should receive an email to log in and view your final scores.
7. If you passed the exam, you will receive a certificate within 6-8 weeks, as well as a Credential Maintenance Program booklet containing info on maintaining your certification.
Questions about ASCPi?
If you have questions about ASCPi certification, register with PassportUSA today to get in touch with our team.
PassportUSA is the leading provider of internationally-trained RNs to U.S. healthcare institutions. We have placed several hundred candidates at leading healthcare facilities across the USA. Client healthcare institutions can trust in our service and quality of candidates. Healthcare professionals will enjoy our high ethics and track record of successful U.S. placement.