PassportUSA has more than 150 internationally-educated physical therapists on assignment and many more on their way to begin careers in the USA. We are proud that we can offer our candidates career opportunities in almost every state in the USA with leading healthcare organizations.

We pride ourselves on nurturing our candidates through the entire process from English language exam preparation to in-person arrival orientation at your place of work in the USA. No other international therapist recruitment organization provides the level of service you’ll receive from PassportUSA.



PassportUSA realizes that some of our best teharpists come from referrals. As such, we are expressing our gratitude by offering the generous referral program detailed below.

  • $700 for referred PTs w/ NPTE
  • $400 for referred PTs w/ FCCPT Type 1
  • $200 for referred PTs with TOEFL-passed scores
  • $100 with no credentials

submit your referrals here



Passport USA excels at helping PTs that have taken few, if any, steps toward meeting the criteria to work as a PT in the United States. In order to apply for entry into our program, you must:

Be a graduate with a Bachelor degree in Physical Therapy (PT) from an accredited PT school.
You must meet the U.S. education standard of 150 credit hours (60 general credits and 90 professional credits) or be willing to take courses required to meet this standard.
Strong preference is given to candidates with recent or current clinical experience hospital / clinic or home care setting at the time you apply to the Passport USA program.

We will provide professional assistance all along the way to make meet all milestones including passage of TOEFL, coursework remediation, credential evaluation, NPTE prep and testing, and U.S. licensure.

When you arrive in the USA to begin your assignment we will reimburse you for the actual costs you incurred to become U.S.-ready. Inquire with your Passport USA recruiter for full details.



Coursework Remediation is simply the process of acquiring the educational credits that you may be lacking to meet U.S. licensure standards.

How many credits do you need to have? Most states in America require a minimum education of at least the equivalent of a Master’s degree in physical therapy from an accredited PT school.

General education minimum credits will typically be 60 semester credits and professional education credits of 90 semester credits. The total minimum semester credits required are usually 150 credit units. Some states may have lower standards, but the Federal standard needed to acquire a VisaScreen certificate (need to acquire a U.S. work visa) is 150 credit units.



Professional Assistance

Our staff will help you navigate the complexities of credentialing, licensure, and visa options to take the best path to achieve your goals.
Credentialing ASSISTANCE
Assistance with TOEFL and NPTE review resources, credential evaluation, VisaScreen, and U.S. licensure
Financial support and/or reimbursement for TOEFL-IBT, credentialing (CES) for your destination state(s) and other approved states, VisaScreen, NPTE review, NPTE exam, US Licensure, and more.

Visa Sponsorship

H1-B Visas
Green Card Visas
EB-2 sponsorship for candidates with the required qualifications or experience
Passport USA’s wage rates that meet or exceed the prevailing wage standard that a physical therapist with similar training and experience would earn in your assigned geographic area. In addition to the base pay, you will be paid overtime pay rates for working more than 40 hours in any given week.
Paid Time Off
Participating therapists are eligible for generous Paid Vacation, Sick Time, Personal Time Off which are accrued according to the hours of service.

Relocation Assistance

Airfare to the USA (job site)
Transitional housing
Assistance with buying or leasing a car


Professional liability (malpractice) insurance coverage

Retirement Savings

We offer a 401(k) retirement plan. This plan is an easy and convenient way for you to save for your retirement. Your contribution also reduces your taxable income.
Green card Sponsorship
Green card sponsorship for successful H-1B candidates


Our comprehensive program is designed to address both the professional and personal aspects of your move to America. Let us explain the major steps:

The Application Process

As a licensed physical therapist your skills are in great demand in America. Once you send us your resume or submit an application to us, we will review your education and experience to determine the best path for you to take to work as a PT in the United States. (Please note that the basic steps shown below may happen in different orders or may be happening concurrently.)


The first hurdle to relocating to the U.S. is passing the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). You must receive a passing score on this exam in order to work as a therapist in America. If you already have this credential, we will reimburse you for your investment prior to your departure for the US.


Next, you must have your education credentials evaluated by an authorized Credential Evaluation Service (CES). There are a variety of CES organizations for PTs. However, they are not universally accepted by all states. Once you have passed the TOEFL examination, we will assist you with credentialing for your destination state and for your VisaScreen certificate.

Licensure Examination

The next priority is to prepare you for the U.S. licensing examination (NPTE). We will provide guidance in identifying quality test preparation materials and courses. NPTE exams are only given in the U.S. We can help you make arrangements to sit for the exam in the appropriate state.

Job Placement

Our placement team works hard to ensure that your assignment in the United States is a great fit for you and your employer. Many factors are considered regarding
your U.S. placement. These factors include, but are not limited to, your clinical skills and experience, job opportunities at the time of your relocation and, of course, your own personal location preferences. Because of the strong relationships that we have built with healthcare facilities all across the U.S. and the quality of our healthcare professionals, Passport USA has more job opportunities at more healthcare facilities than ever before.

Visa Sponsorship

Upon client selection we will begin the visa sponsorship process. Typically, Passport USA’s parent corporation, Health Carousel, will be your visa sponsor. The type of visa used may vary based on several factors including your educational background, your profession, and the position you will be accepting.

Preparing for the USA

Before you pack your bags for America, we will ensure that you know what to expect when you arrive at your destination. Passport USA and our clinical partner facilities will assist you with your transition to living and working in the United States.


A Passport USA representative will be assigned to you and will be available throughout the duration of your time with us. We will give you the support you need to ease into your new environment and to feel confident in your workplace and personal life.

Long-Term Career Opportunities

Once your initial Passport USA assignment has been completed you have unrestricted career opportunities. You will be eligible for a variety of clinical settings around the country as a traveling therapist or accept another long-term assignment in a new part of the country. When your initial contract period is completed, you can choose to work as a traveling PT, accept another long-term assignment with Passport USA, or identify a “permanent” employment opportunity. You may even be invited to work directly for your assigned clinical partner facility indefinitely.


To help you understand our Passport USA™ Program and all that it entails, we have compiled a list of questions that we hear most frequently from healthcare professionals around the world.

What qualifications do I need?

You must have a valid physical therapist / physiotherapist license or registration.
A minimum of six months of post-graduate therapy experience in the United States, United Kingdom, Philippines, India, or similar healthcare environment.
Strong English language communication skills, including comprehension, speaking, and writing.

How do I apply to Passport USA?

To get started, you need to complete and submit an inquiry form. This will help us determine whether you have the skills and experience to work in a healthcare setting in the United States.

Do I have to sign a contract?

Yes, we require a signed contract to confirm that you will work for Passport USA for a predetermined amount of time in the United States.

How long is my commitment to Passport USA?

Typically, your commitment to work with Passport USA will be 36 months.

Licenses and Visas

What type of visas or licenses do I need to work in America?

We usually sponsor physical therapists for H1B visas. During periods of visa retrogression, such as now, this provides the fastest route to the United States for PTs. We may also offer EB2 and TN visas where appropriate for qualifying therapists.

How do I get a PT license?

Once you have been accepted into the Passport USA program, we will help you study for and obtain your U.S. physical therapy license.

How do I get a work visa?

After you have passed TOEFL, received the appropriate CES for your destination state, FCCPT Type 1 Cert/ Visa Screen and been selected by a client facility, we will file your work visa. PassportUSA will sponsor the visa and manage the filing process. Depending upon the situation, we may file a CAP or a Non-CAP H1B visa, a TN visa (Canadian citizens), or an EB2 visa.

Do I need credentialing?

Applicants will be required to have completed credentialing prior to joining the Passport USA program. We will accept the following types of credentialing:

FCCPT -Type 1 (Combined credential evaluation and VisaScreen)
FCCPT – Credentials Evaluation
NYSED – in this case, you will be required to re-credential through FCCPT.

Passport USA will re-credential you if required for your placement location.

What are the different services offered by FCCPT?

The Type I Certificate is a comprehensive credentials review to determine substantial equivalency to the first professional degree in physical therapy in the United States, plus certifies the requirements for a Healthcare Worker Certificate. This includes VisaScreen certification. The Type I process is intended for those individuals who have never been licensed in the U.S. and need to apply for both licensure and the Healthcare Worker Certificate. A small number of U.S. States require the Type I certification for licensure.

An Educational Credentials Review (CES) determines whether your education is substantially equivalent to an accredited physical therapy degree program in the U.S. and may be used for licensure purposes; however, it cannot be used for Immigration purposes.

What is a VisaScreen?

A VisaScreen is a process to ensure you have the necessary qualifications to work in America. During the screening, your skills will be compared to the minimal skills required in education, licensing and English language. Healthcare professionals who have graduated from a college or university in Australia, Canada (except Quebec), New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States, do not have to meet the English language requirement. Once you have passed the VisaScreen, you will be given a certificate which we will submit to the American embassy or consular office as part of your work visa petition or permanent residency application.

What type of training do I need for the PT license?

In order to get your PT license, you will need to pass the NPTE examination. Passport USA will assist you in identifying training programs and study materials to help prepare you for this exam.Where do I take the NPTE exam?NPTE exam centers are only located in the United States. As such, Passport USA will help you coordinate a short trip to the US to sit for the exam. Depending upon the circumstances, we will either pay for or reimburse you for the costs of this trip.

How does the visa process work?

Prior to applying for your visa, you will need to have passed TOEFL, received a CES and a VisaScreen and secured either an ATT or a state physical therapist license. When you have all the credentialing you need, we will meet with you to discuss the process of applying for your H1-B visa. Passport USA will pay for the initial filing fee for your visa and will help you each step of the way with the necessary visa requirements and paperwork. Sometimes you can receive a temporary PT license and work in the United States under the supervision of licensed PT while studying towards the NPTE exam. Passport USA will pursue this option when it is possible for well-qualified candidates.

Can I bring my family?

If you are married, your spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 can legally relocate to the United States with you.

Can I choose where I work and live?

Absolutely. There are many options for you to choose from, ranging from the biggest cities in the nation to quieter, rural areas. Think about where you would like to live and we will help to match your skills and expertise with a hospital in your desired region.

How do you match me to a healthcare facility?

We consider your skills, experience, needs, personality and goals and make the closest match possible with the hospital. Both your wishes and the requirements of the hospital will be taken into consideration.

When does my assignment in America begin?

The assignment begins once you have secured your U.S.Ccredentialing, been accepted by a PassportUSA client, secured a U.S. visa and have secured an authorized start date from PassportUSA. Depending upon the time of year, visa availability, and the credentials you already posses, it can take as little as 3 to 6 months from the time you are accepted into the program by PassportUSA and our client facility until you begin your assignment in America.

What happens after I complete my contract with Passport USA?

You have many choices and we will help you with your decision. Here are some of the options you will have:

Begin a new assignment with Passport USA.
Join our exciting travel nurse program and accept 13 week or longer assignments anywhere in the United States.
Become a permanent employee of your assigned hospital.
Return home
Arrange for your own employment at a hospital of your choice anywhere in the United States.




How much does it cost to live in America?

The cost of living largely depends on the region where you are working, the housing options you choose and your own personal tastes. There is no set standard of living cost but once we know your personal situation, we can help you find out what your costs will be. Many things in America are cheaper than other countries, including cars, petrol, household goods, clothing and food.

Is the pay better in America?

American Healthcare professionals’ salaries are among the most competitive in the world. Your compensation will depend on your experience, your clinical specialty and the location of your assignment. Based on the cost of living, some regions of the country pay more than other areas.

How do I find accommodations in America?

Once you have accepted a job at a hospital in the United States, your international relocation specialist will help you set up your housing, arrange for furniture delivery and ensure that everything is ready for you once you arrive at your new destination. We will work with you on finding the best housing for your needs and help set up your home so that it is ready when you arrive.

What do American hospitals expect from their Healthcare professionals?

As a healthcare professional in America you will have more autonomy than perhaps you are used to in your home country. The role of the PT is one of educator and decision-maker. Passport USA will help you prepare for the differences you are likely to encounter when you begin working in healthcare facility. You will be well prepared for what to expect and we will ensure that your decisions are grounded in excellent assessment skills and clinical knowledge.